This module offers comprehensive, scaled training for ultrasound-guided thoracentesis, focusing on procedural understanding, skill acquisition and manual dexterity. Trainee can choose between supine or upright positions and practice key procedural steps such as palpation, ultrasound evaluation, needle puncture, wire/catheter insertion and verification as well as fluid aspiration using in-plane and out-of-plane ultrasound guidance. The clinical cases present realistic virtual scenarios such as right pleural effusions in various severities and loculated effusions. The simulated procedure is accompanied by comprehensive educational aids such as 3D anatomical map, step-by-step guidance, anatomical labels, organ puncture alerts and concluded by a detailed performance report.
- To perform ultrasound-guided thoracentesis
- To practice ultrasound evaluation of pleural effusion and puncture site selection
- To learn and gain confidence in eye-hand coordination of in-plane and out-of-plane ultrasound guidance
- To practice needle puncture in various pleural effusion variations and severities
- To demonstrate competency of a full thoracentesis procedure from selection of puncture site to fluid aspiration
Critical Care, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Interventional Radiology, Pulmonary
Thoracentesis Hands-on Demo by Dr. Eli Karniel
Do you want to know more about the Ultrasound Mentor Thoracentesis module?