Training without putting patients at risk
- This is why we exist – to give surgeons an excellent platform to train in the fundamental technical skills before entering the operation room.
- For over 20 years, we have been committed to providing state-of-the-art medical training simulators that focus on ease of use and validation.
- The simple idea is to learn the practical techniques of instrument handling in a realistic but safe environment so that you can pay full attention to the patient when you begin the operation.
Every patient undergoing a medical procedure is certain that the care giver is trained and objectively certified in a simulated environment.
- In 1995 Dr. Anders Hyltander, a senior GI surgeon at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, believed that novice surgeons could be trained in critical skills and procedures long before entering the operating room.
- He theorized that real-time simulators could be developed to bridge the gap between classroom pedagogy and patient.
- Together with three young and skilled software engineers, Dr. Hyltander tested that hypothesis to great success.
- In 1999, the quartet founded Surgical Science. After testing their hypothesis, they realised the need for a comprehensive, dynamic VR simulator to allow laparoscopic surgeons to hone their skills in a safe, rigorous and progressive environment before operating on patients.
- Essential cornerstones were quickly identified: All simulattors must be flexible, upgradeable, run on a standard PC and represent state-of-the-art dynamic graphics based on actual surgeries.
- Our first VR simulator, LapSim®, was launched in 2001. Since then it has expanded to include best-in-class procedural simulation for cholecystectomy, appendectomy, advanced suturing and anastomosis, gynecology, hysterectomy, bariatrics, and nephrectomy.
- Dr. Hyltander and his co-founders built Surgical Science with a clear vision – to benefit patients and the medical community by bringing a comprehensive, rigorous, and dynamic instructional system to surgical trainees.
- With a legacy rooted in surgical medicine and technology development, we are helping medical professionals around the world train faster, safer, and more efficiently.
- Today, one of the original software engineer founders Anders Larsson, continue his work with Surgical Science as the company’s CTO, driving the technology forward.