Do you want to work on products where your daily effort will profoundly and positively impact lives of patients and surgeons? Here is an opportunity to build technology that is transforming how surgeons are trained to deliver the best care to their patients.
About the business
Surgical Science (SuS) is the major supplier of simulation software for medical training. Our current portfolio of training systems is used by medical device manufacturers, medical training centers, and institutes worldwide for practice, validation, and certification of students, surgeons, and medical doctors. Our goal is to continuously improve our products to make the learning and training experience of healthcare professionals better. The use of data science and artificial intelligence is one of the pathways by which simulation training will evolve. We are looking for a skilled and motivated data engineer to join our data science team to take this next step.
As a Data Engineer you will work in a novel problem domain of virtual reality surgical simulation while having a tangible impact on training healthcare professionals to advance patient care.
- Advise on data science product definitions and requirements.
- Design the data infrastructure for data science products.
- Build data pipelines for hardware devices, web applications, and data science tools that are secure, scalable, and robust.
- Manage and improve data infrastructure including networking and computing resources.
- Design and take data products from prototype to production.
- Improve existing data practices for current products.
- Ensure data products are compliant, in general, and in healthcare-specific settings.
- Undertake these responsibilities by reaching out to dispersed teams globally.
Why this role?
- You create a new data infrastructure from the ground-up.
- You inform and influence new products from design to production at the get-go.
- You are exposed to a highly regulated industry of healthcare products.
- You work with unique platforms that include edge devices and web apps.
- You interface and work with diverse and dispersed teams around the globe on a regular basis.
You will be directly reporting to the director of newly formed data science team at SuS. You will work closely with the software development team comprised of graphics engineers and software developers spread across our global offices in North America, Europe, and Asia.
The data science team will provide lots of opportunities to grow as an individual contributor or a manager. We value growth and development among our employees. We will work with you to develop and pursue your growth.
You will report to the Seattle office (Washington, USA). Remote work from other locations is also a possible opportunity for the right candidate.
Skills and Qualifications
We prefer that you have:
- Industry experience of 5+ years in a data engineering or similar role.
- Proficiency with programming in Python, C++, SQL, Java.
- Proficiency with the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Proficiency with stream processing systems like Apache Flink or Storm.
- Proficiency with workflow engine like Apache Airflow.
- Proficiency with cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure.
- Experience with data warehousing.
- Experience with big data querying tools like Pig, Hive.
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Experience working in collaborative and cross-functioning teams.
- Fluency in English.
Surgical Science as an employer
Surgical Science is a global and continuously expanding organization. We put work-life balance first and offer great flexibility in managing personal and professional activities. We provide great flexible time-off policy, parental leave policy, and work-from-home options. We believe that diversity, inclusion, and equity are crucial for innovation and growth!
Are you ready to design and build the data infrastructure for data science products powering our next generation of medical simulation technology? Send your application below.
If you have any questions, please email Anand Malpani: [email protected]